From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chukwa questions
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:18:12 GMT
Your understanding of how Chukwa works is correct.

"Hadoop by itself" is a system that contains both the HDFS and the MapReduce
systems. The other projects you lists are all projects built upon Hadoop,
but you don't need them to run or to get value out of Hadoop by itself.

To run the Chukwa agent on a data-source node you do not need to have Hadoop
on that node. The Chukwa agent contains Hadoop jars in its run-time
distribution, and those will be used by the agent, but none of the Hadoop
daemons are needed on that node.

CC chukwa-users@hadoop.apache.org list, where this discussion should
probably move to if there are follow-up Chukwa questions.

Bill