From Ananth Sarathy <ananth.t.sara...@gmail.com>
Subject HDFS without Consideration for Map and Reduce
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:33:07 GMT
So I am aware of the problem with small files
and I have read this article

http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2009/02/the-small-files-problem/

I am just wondering if there has been any real change in this?  For
example's sake, suppose you just want an HDFS Cluster that never does any
m/r jobs but would store an MP3 of every song known to exist, in
/ARTIST/ALBUM/song kind of structure. And if some one wanted they could just
go HDFS://U2/Joshua Tree/withOrWithoutyou.mp3

Yes I know there are practical issues with this example such as search and
browsing, but let's ignore those. I don't really want to have to write a
file system to go on top of a file system for this kind of example, so I'd
imagine I would use the har, but wanted to know if there is any other
thoughts out there.

Also, I was wondering if there were any tips and tricks for using har...auto
archiving, things like that?
Ananth T Sarathy