From A Levine <levin...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about Data Node configuration
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:38:43 GMT
I am trying to configure a large install and I have a question about
the configuration of Data Nodes.  Each data node has multiple drives.
Each drive is 1TB in size.  In the hdfs-site.xml, I can have multiple
directories (which will be mounted drives) specified as shown by:

  <property>
    <name>dfs.data.dir</name>
    <value>/mount1,/mount2,/mount3,....</value>
    <final>true</final>
  </property>

For the drive that has the OS, only 100G will be used for the OS.  Is
it good practice to have a partition on the drive that has the OS used
for the dfs.data.dir?  Will this slow things down?  Will the size
difference available to each directory be a problem?  Also, if it is
not a good idea to use the OS drive, then how about pointing logs to
that drive?

andrew