From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next Release of Hadoop version number and Kerberos
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 05:20:36 GMT
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Ananth Sarathy
> <ananth.t.sarathy@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> The Security/Kerberos support is a huge project that has been in progress
> for several months, so the implementation spans tens (if not hundreds?) of
> patches. Manually adding these patches to a prior Apache release will take
> days if not weeks of work, is my guess.

Based on a quick check from Yahoo's github
(http://github.com/yahoo/hadoop-common):

Between yahoo 0.20.10 to yahoo 0.20.104.2:

421 commits
combined diff of 8.75 mb
12 person-years worth of work
consists almost exclusively of security work

For a single person, who doesn't know the code it will take months to
apply it to one of the Apache branches.

-- Owen