From Michael Sutter <Michael.Sut...@kit.edu>
Subject getJobID and job handling
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:09:28 GMT

  Hello everybody,

I have a problem with my application and hopefully someone can help me.
I want to submit a large number of jobs, notice the job id and come back
after
some hours to query the status of the jobs.

The idea was to create the Job (org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job), query
the job id via getJobID() and store it in a database. So far everything
works fine,
except that getJobID() always returns null. I found a workaround with
getTrackingURL()
and cut the JobID from it.

So to my questions:
Is it a bug, that getJobID() always returns null?

And is it possible to query the status when I only have the job id? The
only information I found is to
do it with JobClient.getJob(JobID), whereas JobID is already deprecated.
Or is this the correct
way to do it?

I'm using hadoop 0.20.2.

Thanks in advance