From "Larry Mills" <lcrawfordmi...@aol.com>
Subject RE: How do I remove "Non DFS Used"?
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:14:12 GMT
How can I be removed from this email distribution list?

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Capriolo [mailto:edlinuxguru@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:03 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: How do I remove "Non DFS Used"?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
> Non DFS used tends to be logging or some other information on the disk.
> So you can't use hadoop commands to remove the files from the disk.
>> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:11:38 +0900
>> Subject: How do I remove "Non DFS Used"?
>> From: mp2893@gmail.com
>> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
>> I was looking at the web interface and found that some of my nodes have
>> enormous amount of "Non DFS Used".
>> There is even a node with 800GB of "Non DFS Used" which is just
>> I tried to remove them by doing:
>> "hadoop namenode -format"
>> and I also tried deleting "hadoop.tmp.dir" (in my case, which is
>> /home/hadoop/hadoop_storage/tmp/).
>> But when I start my cluster again, there it is again with thousands of
>> bytes of "Non DFS Used".
>> Can anyone tell me what "Non DFS Used" is and how to remove them forever?
>> Thanks in advance.
> The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with

I always suggest running tune2fs -m2

On a 1TB disk you can free up about 30 GB.

If you have been running for a while another thing you can do is check
your task tracker directories for relics. I find distributed cache
jars and task attempts that do not clean up (with my version all the
time), then I use find mtime +7 to find files and remove them.

View raw message