From Sagar Shukla <sagar_shu...@persistent.co.in>
Subject RE: Starting namenode
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:27:53 GMT
Error " Address already in use" indicates that there is already a process running on port 9000,
because of which this service is unable to start.

Looks like previously shutdown of namenode process was not clean because of which this process
is already running. Not allowing new process to start.

You can kill previous process using command
# fuser -k 9000/tcp

And then trying to start namenode should work.

Thanks,
Sagar

-----Original Message-----
From: Khaled BEN BAHRI [mailto:Khaled.Ben_bahri@it-sudparis.eu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:52 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: RE: Starting namenode

Hi,
When i started the namenode that gives these errors in logs file :
when i want to enter in the safe mode it also fail and gives that it
can't connect to server

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DecommissionManager:
Interrupted Monitor
java.lang.InterruptedException: sleep interrupted
         at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DecommissionManager$Monitor.run(DecommissionManager.java:65)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
2010-06-02 14:13:21,079 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: Stopping
server on 9000
2010-06-02 14:13:21,079 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
         at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
         at
sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:119)
         at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:59)
         at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:216)
         at org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:425)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.startHttpServer(NameNode.java:246)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:202)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:279)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:956)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:965)

Thanks in advance
    Khaled

Quoting Sagar Shukla <sagar_shukla@persistent.co.in>:

> Hi Khaled,
>       Errors are usually thrown in logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode.log
> file. Please check for the causes of why namenode startup failed.
>
> If you face problems debugging, you can post it here and we can help
>  you debug.
>
> Thanks,
> Sagar

DISCLAIMER