From Amogh Vasekar <am...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Can we modify existing file in HDFS?
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:32:24 GMT
>>Do I need to remove and re-create the whole file?
Simply put, as of now, yes. Append functionality is being made available to users to add to
end of file though :)

Amogh

On 6/22/10 1:56 PM, "elton sky" <eltonsky9404@gmail.com> wrote:

hello everyone,

I noticed there are 6 operations in HDFS:
OP_WRITE_BLOCK
OP_READ_BLOCK
OP_READ_METADATA
OP_REPLACE_BLOCK
OP_COPY_BLOCK
OP_BLOCK_CHECKSUM

and As I know there's no way to modify some arbitrary part in a existing
file in HDFS. So what if I create a say, 2 Petabytes, file and like to
modify some parts? Do I need to remove and re-create the whole file?