From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Need a Jira?
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 15:03:48 GMT
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Came across something "ugly".
>
> I'm using the latest Hadoop version in Cloudera's CH2 :Hadoop 0.20.1+169.68
> (At least I think its the latest version in CH2)
>
> Noticed that when I instantiate a JobClient() passing in a Configuration object, I have
to cast it to the deprecated class (JobConf).

> Is this something that should be updated, or is this fixed in the next Cloudera (CH3)
release?

The reason / problem here is because JobClient is from the old (0.18)
API and thus has no understanding of Configuration. You can initialize
a JobConf from a Configuration rather than casting it which avoids the
cast.

JobConf conf = new JobConf(new Configuration())

This isn't a bug as much as it is confusion between the new and old
APIs. As the new APIs become more feature complete (probably at or
around 0.21) the recommendation will be to prefer those. There has
been discussion around un-deprecating the old APIs.
--
Eric Sammer
phone: +1-917-287-2675