From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Any possible to set hdfs block size to a value smaller than 64MB?
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 12:48:00 GMT

On May 18, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Pierre ANCELOT wrote:

> Hi, thanks for this fast answer :)
> If so, what do you mean by blocks? If a file has to be splitted, it will be
> splitted when larger than 64MB?

For every 64MB of the file, Hadoop will create a separate block.  So, if you have a 32KB file,
there will be one block of 32KB.  If the file is 65MB, then it will have one block of 64MB
and another block of 1MB.

Splitting files is very useful for load-balancing and distributing I/O across multiple nodes.
 At 32KB / file, you don't really need to split the files at all.

I recommend reading the HDFS design document for background issues like this:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/hdfs_design.html

Brian