From jamborta <jambo...@gmail.com>
Subject new to hadoop
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 22:55:58 GMT

Hi,

I am tring to set up a small hadoop cluster with 6 machines. the problem I
have now is that if I set the memory allocated to a task low (e.g -Xmx512m)
the application does not run, if I set it higher some machines in the
cluster have not got too much memory (1 or 2GB) and when the computation
gets intensive hadoop creates so many jobs and send them to these weaker
machines, which brings the whole cluster down.
my question is whether it is possible to specify -Xmx for each machine in
the cluster and specify how many task can run on a machine. what is the
optimal setting in this situation?

thanks for your help

Tom