From "Michael Robinson" <hadoopmich...@gmail.com>
Subject Directory /tmp/hadoop-root/dfs/name is in an inconsistent state: storage directory DOES NOT exist or is NOT accesible
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 10:58:51 GMT
Please help!!!

 I just downloaded and installed Hadoop-0.20.2 in Ubuntu following the
instructions in
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/quickstart.html.

I did NOT get any errors during the installation, however when I try to run
the example programs I get the following error in the namenode.log

   INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: Stopping server on 9000

  ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.serve.namenode.NameNode:

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.InconsistentFSStateException:

  Directory /tmp/hadoop-root/dfs/name is in an inconsistent state: storage
directory DOES NOT exist or is NOT accesible

       at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead

(FSImage.java:290) ... 87,311,292,201,965.

then it shutsdown

leaving the examples in a HANGING state.

 Where do I create the tmp directories, how many of them, and what are their
names

Thank you

Michael Robinson