From Jimmy Wan <ji...@indeed.com>
Subject Migrating DataNode disk to another machine
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 00:05:02 GMT
If a DataNode fails, is it possible to just move the partition to another
datanode? Does that work?

I've got a very small cluster and was considering using a few USB drives on
extra DataNodes to increase my replication factor. Each USB drive would have
its own dedicated partition to hadoop.

If for whatever reason one of my backup machines running DataNodes failed,
I'd like to just move the drive to another machine, configure it as a
DataNode and start it back up.

If I move the drive from one machine to another, do I have to move it to a
drive that is not already running a DataNode?