From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sequential mode?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:54:26 GMT
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Tiago Veloso <ti.veloso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started working with hadoop. I will be doing a project with
> it.
>
> One of the goals of the project is to compare how long it would take to
> execute a given task in a purely sequential mode vs a parallelized one.
>
> My problem is having a sequential execution to serve as a baseline
> comparison.
>
> Would the Standalone Operation mode of hadoop be appropriate for this?
>
> Tiago Veloso
> ti.veloso@gmail.com

Would the Standalone Operation mode of hadoop be appropriate for this?
Yes. I think so.

You can run on a local machine with no configuration:
  Running 'hadoop jar' uses local jobtracker and your local filesystem

On a distributed cluster:
  1) set mapred.map.tasks=1 and mapred.reduce.tasks=1
  --or--
  2) set mapred.job.tracker=local
  Uses 1 "process" but uses the distributed filesystem.