From Vasilis Liaskovitis <vlias...@gmail.com>
Subject separate JVM flags for map and reduce tasks
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:53:16 GMT
Hi,

I 'd like to pass different JVM options for map tasks and different
ones for reduce tasks. I think it should be straightforward to add
mapred.mapchild.java.opts, mapred.reducechild.java.opts to my
conf/mapred-site.xml and process the new options accordingly in
src/mapred/org/apache/mapreduce/TaskRunner.java . Let me know if you
think it's more involved than what I described.

My question is: if mapred.job.reuse.jvm.num.tasks is set to -1 (always
reuse), can the same JVM be re-used for different types of tasks? So
the same JVM being used e.g. first by a map task and then used by
reduce task. I am assuming this is definitely possible, though I
haven't verified in the code.
So , if one wants to pass different jvm options to map tasks and
reduce tasks, perhaps jobs.reuse.jvm.num.task should be set to 1
(never reuse) ?

thanks for your help,

- Vasilis