From u235sentinel <u235senti...@gmail.com>
Subject Does Hadoop compress files?
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:45:07 GMT
I'm starting to evaluate Hadoop.  We are currently running Sensage and
store a lot of log files in our current environment.  I've been looking
at the Hadoop forums and googling (of course) but haven't learned if
Hadoop HDFS does any compression to files we store.

On the average we're storing about 600 gigs a week in log files (more or
less).  Generally we need to store about 1 1/2 - 2 years of logs.  With
Sensage compression we can store about 200+ Tb of logs in our current
environment.

As I said, we're starting to evaluate if Hadoop would be a good
replacement to our Sensage environment (or at least augment it).

Thanks a bunch!!