From Nick Klosterman <nklos...@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject Why must I wait for NameNode?
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:20:35 GMT
What is the namemode doing upon startup? I have to wait about 1 minute
and watch for the namenode dfs usage drop from 100% otherwise the install
is unusable. Is this typical? Is something wrong with my install?

I've been attempting the Pseudo distributed tutorial example for a
while trying to get it to work.  I finally discovered that the namenode
upon start up is 100% in use and I need to wait about 1 minute before I
can use it. Is this typical of hadoop installations?

This isn't entirely clear in the tutorial.  I believe that a note should
be entered if this is typical.  This error caused me to get "WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient: DataStreamer Exception: SOMEFILE could
only be replicated to 0 nodes, instead of 1"

I had written a script to do all of the steps right in a row.  Now with a
1 minute wait things work. Is my install atypical or am I doing something
wrong that is causing this needed wait time.

Thanks,
Nick