From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hbase VS Hive
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:19:56 GMT

> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:42:11 +0700
> From: fitrah.firdaus@gmail.com
> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Subject: Hbase VS Hive
>
> Hello Everyone
>
> I want to ask about Hbase and Hive.
>
> What is the different between Hbase and Hive? and then what is the consideration for
> choose between Hbase or Hive?

Hi,

HBase is a column oriented database that sits on top of HDFS.
You really want to use it if you're thinking about 'transactional' or random access of data
within the data set.

Hive sits on HDFS and generates Hadoop jobs to process data.

I believe that Hive supports a SQL query type language (or am I confusing it with Pig) so
you tend to write a query to walk through your data sets and perform a map reduce.

HBase, you want to pull subsets or even individual rows of data from a very large data set.
It can be used as part of Hadoop jobs or as a separate application.

If you're asking if you want to choose one or the other, I'd say think about knowing both.
Also how do you want to persist the data? In HDFS as flat files, or within a column oriented
database.

HTH

-Mike

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/