From Varun Thacker <varunthac...@aol.in>
Subject some doubts
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:41:27 GMT
I am using ubuntu Linux. I was able to get the standalone hadoop cluster
running and run the wordcount example.
before i start writing hadoop programs i wanted to compile the wordcount
example on my own.
So this is what i did to make the jar file on my own.

javac -classpath /home/varun/hadoop/hadoop-0.20.1/hadoop-0.20.1-core.jar
WordCount.java
jar -cvf wordcount.jar -C /media/d/iproggys/java/Hadoop/src/wordcount/ .

Is this the correct way to do it?

I had one more doubt while running the example.This is what i do to run the
mapreduce job.
bin/hadoop jar hadoop-0.20.1-examples.jar wordcount gutenberg
gutenberg-output

what is wordcount?
gutenberg being the input dir.
gutenberg-output being the out dir.