From jiang licht <licht_ji...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Copying files between two remote hadoop clusters
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 22:37:26 GMT
This is sth that I asked recently :)

Here's a list of what I can think of

1. on remote box of data, cat filetobesent | ssh hadoopmaster 'hadoop fs -put - dstinhdfs'

2. on remote box of data, configure core-site.xml to set fs.default.name to hdfs://namenode:port
and then fire a "hadoop fs -copyFromLocal" or "hadoop fs -put" as it is if your namenode is
accessible from your data box or through a VPN to reach the namenode.

3. hdfs-aware gridftp, you can read more detail about it here sth that was mentioned inĀ
Brian Bockelman's reply:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201003.mbox/%3C2506096C-C00D-40EC-8751-4ABD8F040009@cse.unl.edu%3E

4. you can write a data transfer tool that is HDFS-aware and will run on data box: reads data
on data box and send it over network to its partner on namenode and writes directly into hadoop
cluster.

5. other idea?

Thanks,

Michael

--- On Fri, 3/5/10, zenMonkey <numan.salati@gmail.com> wrote:

From: zenMonkey <numan.salati@gmail.com>
Subject: Copying files between two remote hadoop clusters
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Date: Friday, March 5, 2010, 4:25 PM

I want to write a script that pulls data (flat files) from a remote machine
and pushes that into its hadoop cluster.

At the moment, it is done in two steps:

1 - Secure copy the remote files
2 - Put the files into HDFS

I was wondering if it was possible to optimize this by avoiding copying to
local fs before pushing to hdfs; and instead write directly to hdfs. I am
not sure if this is something that hadoop tools already provide.

Thanks for any help.