From sagar_shukla <sagar_shu...@persistent.co.in>
Subject RE: Tools to automatically setup new slaves (PXE boot?)
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 04:52:51 GMT
Hi Paul,
    Alternative to PXE boot is - do the installation on a single box, create a ghost image
of that setup and then replicate ghost image on new servers.

PXE boot is mainly used when you do not have physical access to the servers and installation
needs to be done remotely. If you have physical access to the servers then images can be created
through ghost.

Regards,
Sagar

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Capriolo [mailto:edlinuxguru@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:23 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tools to automatically setup new slaves (PXE boot?)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Jones, Nick <nick.jones@amd.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> PXE with scripted installs is probably your best bet.
>
> Nick

In a redhat environment PXE+ KICKSTART is a great way to go. You can
get nice fast consistent builds automatically. The post section of a
kickstart allows you to run scripts or install RPM's.

There are some tools Kobbler that give you some nice PXE install
management, and tools like CFEngine can manage your system after that.

Normally the tools in place take care of the heavy lifting and then
you can apply your "glue" code to handle your specific needs.

DISCLAIMER
any liability for virus infected mails.