From Stephen Watt <sw...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Hadoop on a Virtualized O/S vs. the Real O/S
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:58:18 GMT
Hi Folks

I need to be able to certify that Hadoop works on various operating
systems. I do this by running a series it through a series of tests. As
I'm sure you can empathize, obtaining all the machines for each test run
can sometimes be tricky. It would be easier for me if I can spin up
several instances a virtual image of the desired O/S, but to do this, I
need to know if there are any risks I'm running using that approach.

Is there any reason why Hadoop might work differently on a virtual O/S as
opposed to running on an actual O/S ? Since just about everything is done
through the JVM and SSH I don't foresee any issues and I don't believe
we're doing anything weird with device drivers or have any kernel module
dependencies.

Kind regards
Steve Watt