From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Trouble with secondary indexing?
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:43:15 GMT

Sorry about that.
I subscribed to a couple of the lists and of course I've posted it to the wrong list. Doh!

I'll repost there.

> From: todd@cloudera.com
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:08:44 -0800
> Subject: Re: Trouble with secondary indexing?
> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> This question may be better suited for the HBase mailing list:
> hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
>
> I haven't worked with the secondary indexing contrib module yet, but
> here's one idea: did you try uncommenting the "export
> HBASE_CLASSPATH=" line in conf/hbase-env.sh and adding the indexing
> contrib module there? Also, you should point the classpath variable at
> the jar itself, not just the directory in which the jar is contained.
>
> Thanks
> -Todd
>
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Michael Segel
> <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, First time posting...
> >
> > Got an interesting problem with setting up secondary indexing in Hbase.
> >
> > We're running with Cloudera's distribution, and we have secondary indexing up and
running on our 'sandbox' machines.

> > I'm installing it on our development cloud, and I know I did something totally 'brain
dead' but can't figure out what it is...
> > (Sort of like looking for your keys and they are in plain sight on the table in
front of you...)

> > We've got Hadoop up and running, and Hbase up and running without the secondary
indexing.
> > We've added the two properties in to the hbase-site.xml and then in our .kshrc (yes
we use ksh :-)

> > I've added $HBASE_HOME/contrib/transactional to the CLASSPATH shell variable.
> >
> > The error we get is:
> > 2010-02-15 08:39:30,263 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Can not start
master
> > java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
> >        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
> >        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
> >        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
> >        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> >        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.doMain(HMaster.java:1241)
> >        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.main(HMaster.java:1282)
> > Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to find region server
interface org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IndexedRegionInterface

> > When I look at the error, I'm thinking that I'm missing the path to the CLASS, however
on a different cluster of machines running Cloudera's +152 release (HBase-0.20.0) don't have
a problem.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/