From brien colwell <xcolw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not able to compile '.java' files
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 05:26:00 GMT
To get a feel for Hadoop, I'd recommend using Eclipse and using a single
node to start. If you add all the Hadoop JARs to your Eclipse build
path, I think there are five, then Eclipse will manage the classpath for
you.

The following config settings will set up Hadoop to use the local file
system and run your MapRed job in a single JVM. In this way you can set
also breakpoints and take it step by step.

Configuration baseConf = new Configuration();
baseConf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "local");
         baseConf.set("fs.default.name", "file:///");
         baseConf.set("mapred.system.dir",
String.format("%s/hadoop/mapred/system", LOCAL_TEMP_DIR));
         baseConf.set("mapred.local.dir",
String.format("%s/hadoop/mapred/data", LOCAL_TEMP_DIR));
         baseConf.set("dfs.name.dir",
String.format("%s/hadoop/namespace", LOCAL_TEMP_DIR));
         baseConf.set("dfs.data.dir", String.format("%s/hadoop/data",
LOCAL_TEMP_DIR));

Then use this configuration when setting up a JobConf.

hope that helps,

Brien