From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Trouble with secondary indexing?
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 04:08:44 GMT
Hi Michael,

This question may be better suited for the HBase mailing list:
hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org

I haven't worked with the secondary indexing contrib module yet, but
here's one idea: did you try uncommenting the "export
HBASE_CLASSPATH=" line in conf/hbase-env.sh and adding the indexing
contrib module there? Also, you should point the classpath variable at
the jar itself, not just the directory in which the jar is contained.

Thanks
-Todd

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, First time posting...
>
> Got an interesting problem with setting up secondary indexing in Hbase.
>
> We're running with Cloudera's distribution, and we have secondary indexing up and running
on our 'sandbox' machines.

> I'm installing it on our development cloud, and I know I did something totally 'brain
dead' but can't figure out what it is...
> (Sort of like looking for your keys and they are in plain sight on the table in front
of you...)

> We've got Hadoop up and running, and Hbase up and running without the secondary indexing.
> We've added the two properties in to the hbase-site.xml and then in our .kshrc (yes we
use ksh :-)

> I've added $HBASE_HOME/contrib/transactional to the CLASSPATH shell variable.
>
> The error we get is:
> 2010-02-15 08:39:30,263 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Can not start master
>        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
>        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
>        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.doMain(HMaster.java:1241)
>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.main(HMaster.java:1282)
> Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to find region server interface
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IndexedRegionInterface

> When I look at the error, I'm thinking that I'm missing the path to the CLASS, however
on a different cluster of machines running Cloudera's +152 release (HBase-0.20.0) don't have
a problem.