From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hardware inquiry
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:13:16 GMT
Hi Justin,

The best overall balanced machine in my experience, if you're buying
today, is a dual quad core recent processor, 4-6x1TB 7200 RPM SATA
disks, and 16-24G RAM. It sounds beefy, but it hits a good
price/performance/power sweet spot - you can still get this in 1U and
hence pack a lot of punch in each rack.

Depending on your problem and data, you can bump up RAM, disk, or CPU.
For example, some people are running archival clusters with 12 or even
24 disks per node, or using 1.5TB/2TB disks on each node.

-Todd