From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Re: CDH2 or Apache Hadoop - Official Debian packages
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:39:36 GMT
Allen,
> For all intents and purposes, the Debian package sounds just like a
> re-packaging of the Apache distribution in .deb form.
You're perfectly right. Most Debian packages are "just" a re-packaging of the
upstream projects, but with additional management information and logic to
ease the installation and make them work well on the plattform and together
with other programs.
It's the beautiful world of package management:
apt-get install hadoop
less /usr/share/doc/hadoop/README
... Have fun with hadoop

> > - no version namespace, everything is called just "hadoop", not
> > "hadoop-0.18" or "hadoop-0.20" as in the cloudera package
>
> ... and thus making upgrades really hard and not suitable for anything
> "real".
Actually my hope is in the plan of hadoop to once establish a stable API (as
planned) so that an upgrade will be backwards compatible.
As long as that isn't the case, the Debian package is intended only for three
audiencens:
- People who are willing to deal with any upgrade hassles for the benefit of
an official Debian package
- People who'd like to try out and learn hadoop with an easily installable
package
- Me

That said, I'm going to use the Debian package on a tiny production cluster of
5 machines.

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro