From Farhan Husain <farhan.hus...@csebuet.org>
Subject Cannot pass dynamic values by Configuration.Set()
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:52:47 GMT
Hello all,

I am using hadoop-0.20.1. I need to know the input file name in my map
processes and pass an integer and a string to my reducer processes. I used
the following method calls for that:

config.set("tag1", "string_value");
config.setInt("tag2", int_value);

In setup() method of mapper:
String filename =
context.getConfiguration().get("map.input.file")            // returns null

In setup() method of reducer:
String val =
context.getConfiguration().get("tag1");                                //
returns null
int n = context.getConfiguration().getInt("tag2",
def_val);                        // returns def_val

Can anyone please tell me what may be wrong with this code or anything
related to it? Is it a bug of this version of Hadoop? Is there any
alternative way to accomplish the same objective? I am stuck with this
problem for about one week. I would appreciate if someone would shed some
light on it.

Thanks,
Farhan