From Amogh Vasekar <am...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Input file format doubt
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:14:14 GMT
Hi,
For global line numbers, you would need to know the ordering within each split generated from
the input file. The standard input formats provide offsets in splits, so if the records are
of equal length you can compute some kind of numbering.
I remember someone had implemented sequential numbering using the partition id for each map
task (mapred.task.partition) and posted this on his blog. I don't have it handy with me right
now, but will send you off the list if I find it.

Amogh