From "Arv Mistry" <...@kindsight.net>
Subject HDFS data storage across multiple disks on slave
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:25:29 GMT
Hi,

I'm using hadoop 0.20 and trying to understand how hadoop stores the
data.
The setup I have is a single slave, with two disks, 500G each. In the
hdfs-site.xml file I specify for the dfs.data.dir the two disks i.e.
/opt/dfs/data,opt1/dfs/data.

Now, a couple of things when I do a report i.e. ./hadoop dfsadmin
-report,
It only says I have a configured capacity of (500G), should that not be
twice that, since there are 2 500G disks.

And when I look at the data being written, its only written to
/opt/dfs/data. There is no directory /opt1/dfs/data. Should that not
have been created when I formatted the hdfs?

Could anyone tell me is there an easy way to add this second disk to the
HDFS and preserve the existing data. And any ideas what I did wrong that
it didn't get created/used.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers Arv