From Jay Booth <jaybo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slowdown with Hadoop Sort benchmark when using Jumbo frames?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:39:02 GMT
Did you set io.file.buffer.size (or whatever the property is) to a large
value?  If you didn't, then hadoop will explicitly create packets at the
default size, and you'll see zero utilization of the jumboframes.  (although
that would argue for a flat performance, no?  do jumbo frames have increased
overhead-per-packet that could come into play with smaller packets here?)

Also, even if you do set that, I'm not 100% sure that it will lead to use of
the jumboframes, I'd have to take a look through the code to be sure.
 Another issue is that you may lose any networking performance gains as a
result of increased buffer allocation costs and garbage collection.

Ed, I threw out the radfs experiment, I'm working on HDFS-918 now -- that's
what I was mentioning the other night as being possibly more conducive to
jumbo frames due to less buffer allocation on BlockSender instantiation.
 But I haven't benchmarked yet so that's all very much "in theory"