From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: debian package of hadoop
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:37:46 GMT
Isabel Drost wrote:
> On Monday 04 January 2010 13:37:48 Steve Loughran wrote:
>> Jordà Polo wrote:
>>> I have been thinking about an official Hadoop Debian package for a while
>>> too.
>> If you want "official" as in can say "Apache Hadoop" on it, then it will
>> need to be managed and released as an apache project. That means
>> somewhere in ASF SVN. If you want to cut your own, please give it a
>> different name to avoid problems later.
>
> Huh? I am lost and confused here: As far as I understood Thomas is trying to
> create a Debian package which then goes into the Debian distribution
> (possibly sid at the moment).

I was confused by the term "official". The Hadoop team could certainly
release  Hadoop RPMs and deb files. which I think is a good idea, just
because we should recognise that these are the primary ways you install
Hadoop in big clusters. Having RPM/deb files as part of your build
process keeps you focused, though it mean that hudson instances not
running on linux have to skip some stages (i.e. you need a linux CI
server/VM too, plus another one for your install testing)

> Same was done e.g. with Lucene, httpd, Tomcat etc. All of these packages are
> maintained by Debian people and not pushed by Apache guys. Still the packages
> are named tomcat5.5, apache2.2-common, liblucene-java. So it seems possible
> to name official Debian packages similar to the upstream Apache project w/o
> much problems.

OK