From Jordà Polo <jo...@ettin.org>
Subject Re: debian package of hadoop
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:30:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:37:48PM +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:
> If you want "official" as in can say "Apache Hadoop" on it, then it
> will need to be managed and released as an apache project. That
> means somewhere in ASF SVN. If you want to cut your own, please give
> it a different name to avoid problems later.

I actually meant "official" as in "Debian official", that is, a package
that is compatible with the Debian policies and follows the standard
best practices, and thus is able to be included in the official Debian
distribution. (Note that I come from the Debian side where I maintain a
few packages. Sorry about the misunderstanding, I took that for

> Well, we'll just have to ignore the debian autobuilding process
> then, won't we?
> There are some hooks in Ivy and Ant to give local machine artifacts
> priority over other stuff, but it's not ideal. Let's just say there
> are differences in opinion between some of the linux packaging
> people and others as to what is the correct way to manage
> dependencies. I'm in the "everything is specified under SCM" camp;
> others are in the "build against what you find" world.

Well, if you want an official Debian package, you can't really ignore
the autobuilding process, but that's not necessarily a problem. I mean,
you only need to take it into account when building the official
package, not your customized packages.

So, for the initial versions of this "official Debian package" I was
thinking of the following use cases: 1) developers that need the
libraries and maybe even to test applications locally, 2) to deploy
small clusters, and 3) as a base _source_ package that can be customized
and rebuilt for larger environments. IMHO, an official Debian package
would be worth it even if it only provides 1 and 2.

> >(Anyway, I'm interested in the package, so let me know if you need some
> >help and want to set up a group on alioth or something.)
> A lot of the fun here is not going to be setting up the package files (

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm don't think my sentence was
correctly understood either, so I'll try to put it into context: Debian
packages can be either maintained by a single maintainer or by a group
of them. Alioth[1] is a project-management service used mostly for
Debian-related projects (such as packages). An Alioth project could be
useful to create a mailing list and deal with Debian-specific bug
reports and packaging issues (which are off-topic here).

 1. http://alioth.debian.org/

View raw message