From BM <bogdan.maryn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Works on laptop with 2GB, but cannnot allocate memory on VPS with 3.5 GB.
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:38:30 GMT
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM, pavel kolodin
<pavelkolodinhadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> --------------------
> Failed with 2 such nodes:
> 1) VPS, 64bit, 3.5GB RAM
> 2) VPS, 64bit, 2.5GB RAM
> (all - gentoo linux, hardware - 1 server, 16 Xeons, 16GB)

Oh, Gentoo still alive? Strange... :-)

> Many errors, all because of deficit of memory:
> * "DrWho" (whoami available, but can't start because of memory deficit)
> * "java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "chmod": java.io.IOException:
> error=12, Cannot allocate memory"
> * and other...

VPS != your laptop. C++ stuff is not the thing, because you're trying
to launch an external process out of JVM, as I can see from your
traceback. To me it smells to me like VPS configuration suffers with
incorrect swap configuration.

Check your overcommit_memory flag in the kernel. It happens as if
overcommit_memory is turned off, then Java is gonna locks its VM
memory into non-swap area. So when system is trying to spawn a process
(chmod in your case) that is not really belongs to VM, process is
gonna get launched more in swap, which in your case might be very
small one.

P.S. Or go my way ant get an OpenSolaris instead. :-)

Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.

View raw message