From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Why DrWho
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:40:52 GMT

On 12/17/09 4:34 AM, "Starry SHI" <starrysl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Previous I have met the same problem. Hadoop use linux command "whoami" to
> retrieve the current user, which is not supported in solaris.

Yes it is and I really wish people would stop saying that.

/usr/ucb/whoami is there if you install the SunOS 4.x compat stuff.  It just
isn't in the default path, as the BSD commands are considered deprecated on
Solaris (System V).

> There are some
> other errors caused by solaris in running hadoop. If you put hadoop in
> Linux, these problems will disappear.

Most of the non-Linux problems I've seen are related to broken JNI or
assumptions about the output of commands.

View raw message