From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: some current features in hadoop
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:17:31 GMT

On Dec 8, 2009, at 1:54 AM, Krishna Kumar wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me about some more aspects
> which are currently going on hadoop development from where I can
> contribute something, some to do type of things.

I'd suggest trying out the framework and writing some example code.
The best things to contribute are things that are bothering you.
*smile* I'd also suggest starting small and working up.

If you have spare cycles, it would be great if someone went through
and made sure that all of the webapps using HtmlQuoting to quote all
of the values that come from the jobs in the mapreduce webui.

Another nice one would be to implement another quoter for streaming
that does:

tab -> \t
newline -> \n
return -> \r
slash -> \\

and leaves everything else alone. That would let streaming
applications use binary data with a much simpler translation than
typedbytes. See MAPREDUCE-606.

-- Owen