From Michael Thomas <tho...@hep.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: What do you use for capturing Disk I/O?
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 01:06:41 GMT
On 12/10/2009 04:55 PM, Andy Sautins wrote:

>      I have a question that I got an interesting and helpful answer for on the IRC channel
today, but thought I'd open it up to a larger group as well.

>     My problem is hopefully a very common problem.  I'm using Ganglia for trend graphing.
 We are using Ganglia 3.0.7 for convenience since RPMS are available for CentOS 5.4 through
EPEL.  Everything generally works great, but Ganglia doesn't appear to gather Disk I/O stats
( writes/sec, reads/sec, etc ) as a metric.  Some quick looking on the web seemed to confirm
that ganglia doesn't capture disk I/O stats by default, but talk about how it's generally
pretty easy to capture using gmetric.

>     I guess my question would be is there a common way of doing this?  What do you use?
 Do you find Disk I/O to be a useful/necessary metric?

>     Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

In the past we've used a wrapper around 'iostat -k /dev/XXX 60' to
report disk io statistics to our internal reporting tools.

--Mike