From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: io.sort.mb configuration?
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:31:05 GMT
Hi Mark,

For what it's wroth, you're unlikely to see a big difference in performance
unless you cut down the number of spills from >1 to 1, or >io.sort.factor to
<io.sort.factor. The difference between 3 spills and 5 spills is not huge,
in my experience, since you're still writing the same amount of data to
disk.

If your output data should fit well within io.sort.mb, but you're seeing a
few map spills per task instead, that's when tuning io.sort.record.percent
yields a big improvement.

I believe it says so somewhere on that JIRA, but the magic number for
io.sort.record.percent is 16/(16 + average record size in bytes). You can
calculate the average record size by simply looking at the job counters and
dividing map output bytes by map output records.

-Todd