From Jason Venner <jason.had...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Secondary NameNodes or NFS exports?
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:38:13 GMT
I agree, it seems very wrong, that is why I need a block of time to really
verify the behavior.

My test case is the following, and the same test fails in 18.3 and 19.0 and
19.1

set up a single node cluster, 1 namenode, 1 datanode, 1 secondary, all on
the same machine.
set the checkpoint interval to 2 minutes (120 sec)

make a few files, wait, and verify that a checkpoint can happen.

recursively start coping a deep tree into hdfs, what the checkpoint fail
with a timestamp error.

The code explicitly uses the edits.new for the checkpoint verification
timestamp.

The window is the time from the take of the edit log to the return of the
fsimage.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@cse.unl.edu>wrote:

> Hey Jason,
>
> This analysis seems fairly unlikely - are you claiming that no edits can be
> merged if files are being created?  Isn't this what edits.new is for?
>
> We roll the edits log successfully during periods of high transfer, when a
> new file is being created every 1 second or so.
>
> We have had issues with unmergeable edits before - there might be some race
> conditions in this area.
>
> Brian
>
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 7:07 PM, Jason Venner wrote:
>
> > I have no current solution.
> > When I can block a few days, I am going to instrument the code a bit more
> > verify my understanding.
> >
> > I believe the issue is that the time stamp is being checked against the
> > active edit log (the new one created then the checkpoint started) rather
> > than the time stamp of the rolled (old) edit log.
> > As long as no transactions have hit, the time stamps are the same.
> >

> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Stas Oskin <stas.oskin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> What was your solution to this then?