From Mikhail Yakshin <greycat.na....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bypassing SSH
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:19:13 GMT

> Does anyone run Hadoop without SSH?
> Windows/Vista has a lot of problems with CYGWIN and SSHD. Unless the
> phase of the moon is just right and you have a magic rabbits foot it
> just doesn't work. I've spent much time trying to fix it just so I can
> do some Hadoop development.

You don't have to have a full-fledged Hadoop cluster (especially on
Windows) for development. MiniRC cluster is more than sufficient for
most tasks.

> Since it doesn't work, I'd like to bypass the SSH issue entirely.
>  Can I simply rewrite the startup scripts to initiate the Hadoop
> components manually? Has anyone done this?

You don't need to rewrite anything. You can just run
"./hadoop-daemon.sh start [service-you-want]" on every machine. Our
installation of Hadoop works without any ssh access for Hadoop at all:
all Hadoop services get started by normal init scripts when every
machine boots, and runs for good.

WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

View raw message