From John Martyniak <j...@beforedawnsolutions.com>
Subject Server types
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:57:08 GMT
I am gettin ready to set up a hadoop cluster, starting small but going
to add pretty quickly.  I am planning on running the following on the
cluster, hadoop, hdfs, hbase, nutch, and mahout.

So far I have two Dell SC1425 dual processor (2.8 ghz), 4 GB Ram, 2
1.5 TB Sata drives, on a gigabit switch.

So first off does this seem to be a reasonable way to start, I expect
to double or triple the number of servers in the first month.

Second do the boxes need RAID or will the HDFS take care of the
redundancy?

And third as I expand the cluster do all boxes have to be identical
configs?  If they are not what problems will I run into?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-John