From John Martyniak <j...@beforedawnsolutions.com>
Subject Ganglia
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:41:36 GMT
Hi,

I have been trying to get Hadoop working with Ganglia, and am making
some progress.

I have upgraded to Hadoop 0.20.1, and that seems to make a big
difference, I no longer get any errors related to Ganglia.

But when I run gmetad --debug=5, I get the following:
[root@monitor ganglia]# gmetad --debug=5
Going to run as user nobody
Sources are ...
Source: [hadoop cluser, step 15] has 4 sources
	10.1.1.128
	10.1.1.129
	10.1.1.130
	10.1.1.131
xml listening on port 8651
interactive xml listening on port 8652
cleanup thread has been started
Data thread 3023616912 is monitoring [hadoop cluser] data source
	10.1.1.128
	10.1.1.129
	10.1.1.130
	10.1.1.131
data_thread() got no answer from any [hadoop cluser] datasource

If telnet from 10.1.1.128 to the ganglia machine, it returns an XML
string, so it can connect.

I guess my question is do I need to run gmond or gexec on each
individual node?  Or should it just write to ganglia machine, once it
is configured in the hadoop-metrics.properties?

Thank you,

-john