From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: names or ips in rack awareness script?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:56:10 GMT
On 11/18/09 10:02 AM, "Edward Capriolo" <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was never clear to me what would be needed ip vs hostname. I
> specified ip, short hostnames, and long hostnames just to be safe. And
> you know things sometimes change with hadoop ::wink-wink::

IIRC, everything is pretty much passed around as IP address internally.  The
topology script is expected to take IP as input.  But even so, it is
probably smart to play for both IPs and names.

FWIW, I actually have a slight example of what we used at Yahoo! and its
output buried in my Hadoop 24/7 presentation from Apachecon this year.

View raw message