From Jim Twensky <jim.twen...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating a new configuration
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:08:36 GMT
The documentation on configuration states:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless explicitly turned off, Hadoop by default specifies two
resources, loaded in-order from the classpath:

   1. core-default.xml : Read-only defaults for hadoop.
   2. core-site.xml: Site-specific configuration for a given hadoop
installation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean when creating a configuration, we have to expilicitly
add the resources like:

		conf.addResource("hdfs-default.xml");
		conf.addResource("hdfs-site.xml");
		conf.addResource("mapred-default.xml");
		conf.addResource("mapred-site.xml");

to make those settings visible to the client program? Skimming through
the source code, I got the impression that hdfs and mapred settings
are not loaded by default and I keep adding above four lines to every
client I implement.

Speaking of which, what's the difference between addResource and
addDefaultResource methods? Should I use addDeafultResource methods to
add the above resources instead? The documentation is not clear to me
as to which one is appropriate.

Thanks,
Jim