From Le Zhao <lez...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: hadoop eclipse plugin
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:15:49 GMT
Hi Edmund,

Thanks for the suggestion!  Sounds very useful for production
development, I'll check out the MRUnit.

Edmund Kohlwey wrote:
> I develop MR applications in Eclipse with no plugins other than the
> standard JDT. MRUnit (included in the cloudera distribution for hadoop,

Since students are mostly not familiar with the details of Hadoop, the
use of a plugin would make our instructions for the students much
shorter, and their HW experience more enjoyable.

> which can be downloaded as a tgz somewhere on their site -- it is hard
> to find) provides all the instrumentation you should really 'need' if
> you're following good test-based development practices. Hadoop itself
> contains good examples of tests where you actually start up a local
> cluster and run jobs, if you need that level of testing.
>
> It sounds like for your exercise, MRUnit should be adequate for a
> grad-level student.

One problem is that even grad students are from various backgrounds, we
cannot assume too much technical knowledge.  But that's my problem, and
thanks for the pointer!

Le