From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Linux Flavor
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:22:46 GMT
We generally recommend sticking with whatever Linux is already common inside
your organization. Hadoop itself should run equally well on CentOS 5, RHEL
5, or any reasonably recent Ubuntu/Debian. It will probably be OK on any
other variety of Linux as well (eg SLES), though they are less commonly

The reason that RHEL/CentOS is most common for Hadoop is simply that it's
most common for large production Linux deployments in general, and
organizations are hesitant to add a new flavor for no benefit.

Personally I prefer running on reasonably recent Ubuntu/Debian since you get
some new kernel features like per-process IO accounting (for iotop), etc.