From Huy Phan <dac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get IP address of the machine where map task runs
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 03:17:53 GMT
Hi Long,
1. You can make it with a hardcore way: parsing the log file of job
tracker to get the information about `task id` and hostname of its node.

2. This is a sample code to get IP Address from hostname using InetAddress:

|java.net.InetAddress inetAdd = java.net.InetAddress.getByName("www.google.com");
String ipAdress = inetAdd.|getHostAddress()

Just for out of curiosity, what is your purpose of getting *location* of
map task when running a MapReduce job?

Long Van Nguyen Dinh wrote:
> Thanks Amogh. For my application, I want each map task reports to me
> where it's running. However, I have no idea how to use Java
> Inetaddress APIs to get that info. Could you explain more?
>
> Van
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Amogh Vasekar <amogh@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> For starters look at any monitoring tool like vaidya, hadoop UI ( ganglia too, haven't
read much on it though ). Not sure if you need this for debugging purposes or for some other
real-time app.. You should be able to get info on localhost of each of your map tasks in a
pretty straightforward way using Java Inetaddress APIs( and use that info for search?)