From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how much time to run a Hadoop cluster ?
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 17:45:53 GMT
Hadoop does need someone to administer it. You can be doing other
stuff and doing a half time to take care of the cluster. That's how I
do it at my job. However your cluster is bigger and will be doing more
stuff than the one I work on. So, that might change the equation a

On 10/9/09, Nick Rathke <nick@sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> Hello Hadoop Users,
> Now that we have our cluster up and running ( mostly ) the question has
> come up about much time will be required to run the system.
> We have Hadoop running on 64 nodes, 40TB of storage with only 6 or 7
> Hadoop users right now. The number of users is likely to grow as more of
> our researchers begin to use the system but will likely not be more the
> 20 users.
> I am trying to get a sense of how much of an FTE ( Full Time Employee )
> I should plan on for managing the system. We also run MPI and CUDA on
> the cluster and from a system administrator point of view these are
> fairly low overhead, but I have no concept yet of what the time
> commitment to Hadoop will be.
> Thanks,
> Nick Rathke
> Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> nick@sci.utah.edu
> www.sci.utah.edu
> 801-587-9933
> 801-557-3832
> "I came I saw I made it possible" Royal Bliss - Here They Come

Amandeep Khurana
Computer Science Graduate Student
University of California, Santa Cruz

View raw message