From Shevek <she...@karmasphere.com>
Subject Re: Announce: Karmasphere Studio for Hadoop
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:11:18 GMT
On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 19:45 -0700, Bruce Williams wrote:
> It's nice to see some new Hadoop IDE work. Aptana did their own,
> bought some IDE's and they are cloud hosting now? I installed (
> haven't brought up Netbeans for a while ) and think I saw some GPL
> flash by. Is there GPL code?

Netbeans itself is a combination of CDDL and GPL code, and we use a
number of standard Java libraries which are available under the LGPL,
and GPL with ClassPath exception, which probably account for the
license(s) you saw.

We do modify and redistribute some LGPL code, and we resubmit all our
patches to the original libraries and modules. Anecdotally, there have
been times when I have personally been responsible for a double figure
percentage of the bugs/patches in some major bug trackers. We also have
a significant number of patches in Netbeans itself by now, although we
strive to make our product work in older versions of Netbeans as well.

Other than that, the core technology of Karmasphere Studio is entirely
written from scratch, so while we have a commitment to making this
technology available for free, we still have the flexibility we want
with regard to commercial extensions of the studio.

It's pretty strictly against our and my coding standards to copy and
paste code, and we keep a neck-less goon in the corner of the office
just in case anybody tries it.

S.