From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: memcached or existing hbase ?
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:57:40 GMT
Hi Bob,

I think it depends on what you want to do and what you need.  For example, vanilla memcached
is not persistent - if your server goes down, you lost your data and you'll have to load it
into the cache again (or just populate it lazily).  With HBase replication that shouldn't
happen.  On the other hand, memcached is older, got a LOT more action over the years, and
I have instances whose uptime is measured in *years*.  Memcached is lean and mean.  From your
description, it doesn't sound like you need anything more than 1+ memcached instances.

Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR